Sunday 30 September 2007

Shades of green

This is a 60" skein which I dyed in 2" sections with a sequence of different greens. The small skeins in the middle are commercial yarns with wool or alpaca content along with some acrylic and I wanted to see how much dye they would take up. Not a lot as it turns out.


I was wondering how many different shades of green I could get from lime, sunshine, bluebell and charcoal. This was the question I tried to answer yesterday. The result was five variations, all quite pale, but nevertheless interesting. I think I need to get some deeper colours of acid dye because then I could get a wider range of shades. The green skein is the 75m of thick and thin BFL from the other day and because I miscalulated the amount of dye I needed for it, I ended up dyeing the last 100g of superwash merino broken tops as well. I'm thinking hat and mittens maybe.


I've made some progress with the alpaca, I now have three skeins done. I'm having fantasies about drum carders since I find carding to be quite a challenge. I can't seem to avoid the doubled up fibres which occur. Still, somehow I'm getting fairly consistent length/weight ratios for each skein - about 2m/g. This is another 140m waiting for the twist to be set.

No comments: