Friday 28 September 2007

Biased



I know that 1 x 1 ribbing worked in the round has a tendancy to bias. I know why it happens, all circular knitting does it to some degree, but I don't know how to avoid it. This may not be too much of a problem in a small item like the twisted ribbing in the Monkey socks, but the neckband of this sweater is a disaster. I hadn't noticed how bad it was until I'd cast off some of it. Back to the drawing board. I do have an idea of how to get a better looking band, which I'll try later.
This is the cushion so far, I wanted to do something other than plain stocking stitch and the idea of a ripple appealed to me. It's going well although I might do some surface crochet up the lines of yarn overs, to fill the holes and add a bit more colour interest. We'll see.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Now I know it sounds silly but are you sure that neckband isn't just pulled a bit on the needle, it may well look fine once it is cast off, just a thought! Thought I would pop back and see how you are getting on, you've been busy dyeing and spinning great!

Sue said...

Thanks for visiting again! No, it really is as bad as it looks, the cast off bit was worse than the bit still on the needles. I've ripped it now anyway.