Friday 21 September 2007

Bright colours

This is over 100g of blue faced leicester sliver having a rinse after being dyed. I tried not adding any vinegar until after I'd put the colours where I wanted them which helped with the colour blending. Previously, I'd acidified the wool before dyeing, and then the dye stayed where it was put, which might be what is wanted, but not this time. This is definitely freestyle dyeing - add a bit of this and a bit of that and see what develops.

This is it when dry. I'm going to spin this into thick and thin singles like these...



and then knit a cushion cover for the spinning chair. The undyed yarn won't be that way for long, I hope to get that dyed over the weekend in a similar colourway to the sliver and then that will make the back of the cushion. This way I should get to see the difference it makes dyeing the fibre or the yarn first.

The second sock is under way, it's actually a bit further along than this picture shows. The first one fits fine and I'm thrilled that my plans for these socks worked out. I should even have a bit of yarn left over.

No comments: