Wednesday 9 January 2008

That's much better!

I knew it had to be possible to get a better match than I had before. These are my standard top down heel flap socks using 2.75mm circs and 64sts. The yarn is Online City Colour, shade 922.

I've been dyeing today after I got my new dyes yesterday.This time I've got the primary colours plus black, which should mean I can mix just about anything. Before I was a bit limited by the colour selection I had. The top batch was immersed in a purple dyebath. I was expecting some shading, but this is much better! I'm sure I mixed the bath well, but it looks as if it wasn't very well mixed at all. The second lot was squeezed quite well, before laying it out on cling film and adding dye where I wanted it, before nuking it in the microwave. This is superwash BFL, 50g of each colourway. I plan to ply them together for socks.

I made a start on the purple one. I've ordered some more bobbins, the high speed ones that have the tiny whorl, which should mean a bit less treadling for the fine singles. They will also speed up plying. Rather than pay extra for the fatcore bobbins, I'm experimenting with using pipe lagging round the core of the standard bobbin. You can just see it on the right hand side. So far so good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,

Don't shoot me, but when I first looked at the beautiful socks, and the way they are pictured I thought what a pretty romper you made for a baby, except she made the bottom of the legs too small. Then I read on and see they are socks, then I could see that's what they are. Love the facecloth, very pretty.
Hugs,

Nora

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous spinning and knitting.