Tuesday 6 November 2007

Doing the twist

Three of the current WIPs are lacy knits. The Secret of the Stole and Mystic waters are making progress. I'll probably take pictures at the end of the current clues. The Kaalund scarf has grown to about two feet, so quite a bit to go. My Knitpicks Options set arrived on Saturday, and I'm really impressed with it. The points are nicely pointy for those awkward manoeuvres, and the join is really smooth. My other project is just a simple sock, very mindless knitting. I'm looking for a sweater pattern which maybe doesn't exist for the alpaca/silk I recently frogged, so I may have to design one myself, although I don't feel much inspiration at the moment.



I'm trying to make a cone of cashmere/merino which I bought recently into useable yarn. It is a very fine single which looks okay on the cone, albeit very fine. However, it is extremely overspun. The picture shows, from the top, the yarn straight from the cone; the same stuff washed; two ply without enough twist washed; two ply with more twist washed; and at the bottom, how it behaves when allowed to twist as it likes. So, it needs a lot more plying twist than I've given it yet. I'm hopeful that if I can get it right, I'll end up with nice soft lace weight yarn at about 800m per 100g.

No comments: