Wednesday 2 April 2008

Third time lucky

It's been a bit quiet on the knitting front this week. Since I finished the Swallowtail shawl none of my other projects have seemed so appealing. I think the lovely softness of the BFL yarn is hard to compete with. Anyhow, I did persist with the short row heel on the first Charade sock. I had to rip it twice, but managed it on the third attempt. Goodness knows how I messed it up, I mean, hundreds, thousands or maybe even millions of people can manage a short row heel okay. I can do a heel flap type heel without referring to any instructions, so maybe if I keep trying I will manage a short row heel that way too eventually.

This is where that shawl lives now - on the back of my computer chair when it isn't round my shoulders. What can I say, I'm really chuffed with it.
I started the back of the Weekend pullover having got the first sleeve up to the sleeve cap shaping. I intend to knit the second sleeve to the same point, then knit them both at the same time for the cap shaping, that way they stand a chance of being a matching pair.

This shot of the back was taken a couple of days ago, and it's nearly twice as tall now. The size seems good, and the yarn seems to be lasting well, it looks like the back will take less than 3 balls, and each sleeve about 1.5. So, the 10 I have will be plenty. Phew!

The Mystic Light knitalong has started. I signed up for it a while ago, and eventually cast on with some shaded blue 4 ply wool intended for socks. I'm not very happy with how it looks, so I think it'll be ripped. The cables are fine, but the lace pattern just doesn't show up. It's given me some practice in cabling without a cable needle though. I'll have to look in the stash for something in a solid colour I think.

2 comments:

woolydoodles said...

wow the shawl is amazing, you must feel so proud. I'v knitted handspun socks and love em so i suppose i should spin for a shawl...another mystic light maybe esp as my default navajo is 4ply-dk wt.
im in the same boat with he short row heels. i think iv mastered it...i followed in structions from favourite socks using a yo instead of a wrap. i understand the construction now much better just cant bring myself to do reams of st st to finish the socks!
take lots of care
love n hugs
Mel x

Anonymous said...

Good words.