Thursday 24 April 2008

A lesson learned (again)

You would think that a fundamental like swatching using the exact same needles or hook that you intend to use for the item itself would be obvious. I know this, so why I didn't do it I don't know.

I bought this book by Doris Chan having seen rave reviews on a couple of blogs. The garments are worked top down with raglan shaping which is nice for trying on as you go. Anyhow, the swatch you can see was worked with my grotty old plastic 6mm hook and I got exact gauge for Jewel. Jubilant, I started out using my 6mm Clover soft touch hook which I really like. The rest is predictable really. Of course my gauge was off with this hook, instead of 3" for 2 pattern repeats, I was getting 2.75". No problem, I'd just do extra rows and increases. I finished the yoke and laid it flat to measure, when I noticed that the raglan increases weren't laying flat, there was a bulge in the same place on each one. I'd followed the pattern for my size, but it seemed as if there was one increase round too many early in the yoke.

So, I ripped nearly all of it out and continued with the old plastic hook. I omitted the offending row, and currently I'm nearly to the armpit on this version with the raglans laying flat so far. This picture shows progress before this evenings crochet frenzy.

My Mystic Light shawl is approaching completion, almost half way through the final clue. I'm going to be sad when this one is done, I've really enjoyed knitting it. Looking on the bright side though, I'll be able to wear it.

No comments: