Wednesday 13 August 2008

Noils and Neps


It's been quite a trying time lately. The pastel dyed batts I've been spinning are rather full of those little tangled lumps which I think are called neps, and assorted short fibres or noils. Both make it difficult to spin an even yarn. I removed a large percentage while pre-drafting, and more while spinning, but some got through anyway. The picture above shows one such piece of pre-drafted fibre along with the crud that came out of it. I've managed to fill two bobbins with singles and am currently plying them. I'm thinking that I may try felting the remaining fibre rather than spinning it. I nearly ran out of patience with this stuff.

To take my mind off this fibre, I finally got to dye some of the superwash BFL that I have had for a while. I didn't have a clear plan for this and ended up with a rainbow of colours.

Once it was cooked and dried, it looked a bit different.

This might be socks eventually, I'm going to attempt a 2 ply and maintain the colour sequence by dividing the roving lengthways into an even number of sections and hopefully spinning two matching singles. Watch this space!

With a few UFOs hiding around the place, I promoted one of them to a WIP - my Rosemary crocheted sweater which has grown quite nicely over the last couple of weeks. It still looks like a green blob, but I'll try for a picture soon. I also finished my pair of plain Online socks, ready for the cooler weather.

No comments: