Tuesday 18 March 2008

Beading time


I can't believe it's a week since I last posted, the time has really flown by. I think the most interesting thing to have happened (no, I don't lead a very exciting life) was the shopping expedition when I took the Swallowtail shawl to find beads. I came across some Jaeger beads designed for knit use which have purple, blue and red colouring. They were the best match I could find and I've finally got the technique for getting them onto the stitches refined. I had been tempted to try the nupps, but having calculated my yarn usage and finding that I should have ~5g left without them and ~1g left with them, it wasn't worth the anxiety. At this point I have four of the ten beaded rows done and it's going well.

This alpaca is turning into a marathon project. Having filled two bobbins with singles, I managed to get them plied yesterday. This is the first skein with the second half on the bobbin waiting for it's turn on the niddy noddy. It's a bit rustic, a bit uneven and a light aran weight, I'm guessing 4.5mm needles. There is nearly as much again to do but I don't think there'll be quite enough for a sweater, so I might blend some of this fibre with some of the brown alpaca I still have waiting from last year to make a contrast colour. Better yet I could spin some of the brown to the same thickness as well and have two contrasts. I may do stripes or colourwork, who knows. I'm determined to make a sweater or jacket from handspun sooner or later, and this might be it.

The crocheted circular ripple has grown a bit, but each round seems neverending. This may well end up a bit smaller than I first thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,

I know what you mean on the round ripple. Mine aren't as big either, did the 12th increase round and stopped right there and it's only 31 inches round, but good enough for a little baby. You'll have to try the granny ripple pattern next.
Love swallowtail shawl and I don't think I would attempt beads at all.
Hugs,
Nora

woolydoodles said...

Hiya Sue
You always have such lovely projects on the go! Ther alpaca looks lovely...just keep doing a bit here and there and it'll soon spin up!
Take care
Love n hugs
Mel x